Thursday, April 4, 2019

Photos? Who needs photos?

Mudthaw was this past weekend, and I did in fact get my outfit made for it! And I got exactly zero photos of it, oops? Though it's just as well, as I forgot most of my accessories. I'll get it all on another time with all the bits and pieces for some proper photos.

I did snap a quick picture on my dressform beforehand, just to make sure the layers were hanging right before hemming it all. (No, I am not seven feet tall, my dressform is just on a low table, for making hemming and skirt leveling easier.)





What's there: the bottom layer is a soft red Eura style underdress in linen. Why did I make a Scandinavian style underdress for a Slavic persona? There was a lot of cross-trading all across the Baltic Sea, and I imagine clothing cuts would've traveled to some extent as well. (And standard T-tunic style dresses are just plain boring to sew. The Eura dress offered some interesting seaming.) That is tied around the waist by a plain red inkle-woven band, not visible under the overdress.

Over that is a knee-length tunic in a navy linen with a windowpaned diaper weave, adding a little bit of visual interest to an otherwise plain garment. I don't know if this type of weave is accurate to the 10th century, but I was stash-busting with it. It's worn with a blue and yellow inkle woven broken checkerboard band.

At Mudthaw I also wore the wide red and blue head band with a set of copper temple rings, and I had a red suede belt purse that I kept my necessities in. The purse was a very last minute project, and I need to do a little bit of tweaking to it before I use it again.

Mudthaw itself was fun! I spent most of the day outside in the lists, learning MOLing so I'm not quite so lost when I need to do it myself for our Barony's first tourney in two months. Gotta have champions for Pennsic and whatnot.

My next two events will be Crown Tourney and Dining Alfresco in the Court of Henri II, the first and second weekends in May respectively. For crown I will probably just wear this outfit again, but for dining I think I want something fancier. I've got several yards of a blue and ivory cotton brocade floating around, maybe I'll make a Burgundian gown with it. I've got some time to decide at least, and a non-SCA costume event before both of those that I really need to get sewing for.

No comments:

Post a Comment